An Immigration and Social Services Provider
                                                               An Immigration and Social Services Provider     

Immigrant Visas


CIIS has an immigration attorney on staff. Call us at 773-282-8445 with any questions or concerns.




U.S. immigration law is very complex, and each case is unique and requires special consideration when deciding upon which route is most suitable. The following is a brief overview of the eligibility requirements for family-based immigration. Remember that it is important to consult with an attorney or accredited representative before filing for any immigration benefit. Currently,

Family-Based Immigration


United States citizens and lawful permanent residents can bring certain family members into the U.S. by filing an alien relative petition. Subsequently to an approval of this petition, the family member can apply for a green card either from the foreign country within which he or she resides or within the U.S. depending on the circumstances. The amount of time a person may have to wait to apply for a green card varies.




U.S. citizens over 21 years of age may petition for their


·         spouses (this includes same-sex spouse entered in a country or U.S. state which recognizes the validity of same-sex marriages)

·         children

·         parents

·         siblings


Note: A U.S. citizen may file a petition for his or her fiancee to come to the U.S. in order for the couple  to marry within 90 days of the fiancee’s entry into the country.


Lawful permanent residents may petition for their

  • spouses
  • children; if the son or daughter is over 21 years of age, he or she must be unmarried.

There are certain crimes and immigration violations, which may prevent a person from

lining a green card. If you have any concerns about your criminal or immigration histories,

is imperative that you speak with an attorney or accredited representative.




Employment-Based Immigration



It is possible for a person to immigrate to the United States and obtain a green card through

his or her employment. CIIS does not work on employment visas or adjustment of status through employment; however, we are able to make referrals. Please call us if you have any questions or concerns.   



Please note this document is not and does not purport to be a legal document. The following information is intended for guidance only and is not a formal interpretation of Irish law. For further information on the relevant legislation, please contact the Embassy of Ireland or your local Irish Consulate. The inclusion of a reference to a service provided by any commercial agency does not constitute an endorsement by the Embassy of the service provided.

If you plan to reside in Ireland for more than 90 days, you will need to obtain this permission within 90 days of entry (and preferably within a few days of their arrival) from the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) in the Department of Justice and Equality. You will need to make a formal application for extension of your stay. Remember that an unauthorized overstay could result in prosecution, imprisonment and a fine. In brief to make a formal application:

  • You should report for registration to the local Police Superintendent’s Office; and

  • Present the following documentation:

    • completed Aliens Registration Form (available from local police offices)

    • a valid passport

    • four passport photographs

    • evidence where relevant of sufficient funds of support for the duration of stay (e.g. statement of earnings, bank statement, credit cards, ATM cards, traveler’s checks etc.)

    • students and persons intending to take up employment, including spouse of Irish nationals, in Ireland require additional documentation

Remember that marriage to or civil partnership with an Irish national does not confer an automatic right to reside in Ireland. A U.S. citizen spouse of an Irish national still needs to make a formal application for residency. If you are in Ireland with permission, both you and your Irish national spouse or civil partner should go to your local Garda National Immigration Bureau Registration office with the following documentation:

  • Original marraige or civil partnership certificate

  • Original passport

  • Irish spouse or civil partner's original passport

  • Evidence of the couple's joint address.

You will need to present additional information if you are residing in Ireland without permission at the time of application. You can find further information here.

If your application is refused, you will be informed of the reasons. You may then submit a written appeal against the decision. If you choose not to appeal or if your appeal is unsuccessful, you will be given a specified period of time in which to make arrangements to leave Ireland voluntarily. Failure to depart voluntarily could result in prosecution and/or deportation.

For more information about Irish immigration, visit the INIS website. You can also call CIIS at 773-282-8445.  

Contact Us


Click HERE to join our mailing list and stay up to date with all that's going on at CIIS 


Office Address:

4626 N. Knox Avenue,

Suite 301
Chicago, IL 60630















Call 773-282-8445 to schedule your appointment at one of our upcoming legal immigration clinics!


Please, check our Facebook page for any changes or updates to our clinic hours. Thank you!

Undocumented Irish- Click Image for Website
Print Print | Sitemap
© Chicago Irish Immigrant Support